Associate General Counsel, Labor and Employment Law
Company: Baxter Healthcare
Posted on: April 6, 2021
Associate General Counsel, Labor and Employment Law Req # JR -
037405 Location Deerfield, Illinois Job Category Legal Date posted
03/30/2021 This is where you save and sustain lives At Baxter, we
are deeply connected by our mission. No matter your role at Baxter,
your work makes a positive impact on people around the world.
You'll feel a sense of purpose throughout the organization, as we
know our work improves outcomes for millions of patients.--
Baxter's products and therapies are found in almost every hospital
worldwide, in clinics and in the home. For over 85 years, we have
pioneered significant medical innovations that transform
healthcare. Together, we create a place where we are happy,
successful and inspire each other. This is where you can do your
best work.-- Join us at the intersection of saving and sustaining
lives- where your purpose accelerates our mission.-- Associate
General Counsel has responsibility for providing labor and
employment law support for assigned businesses, regions and/or
functions.--Formulates and executes the company's legal strategies
relevant to the assigned groups.--Leads other lawyers and personnel
in the relevant subject matter and serves as a role model for the
Legal Department's Professional Standards.--Advises and counsels
the company's senior management on legal and related matters
pertinent to the assigned groups. Reports to the Deputy General
Counsel, Labor and Employment Law and Global Supply Chain.
- Understands the strategic and tactical objectives of Baxter's
businesses and/or functions, and the associated legal
- Assesses and formulates strategy to manage key legal issues
pertinent to the assigned groups.
- Directly handles most significant legal matters within the
- Develops and manages the operational processes for the assigned
- Participates in articulation of the Labor and Employment Law
team's goals and supports strategies for operational management of
the Legal Department.
- Participates as a strategic member of the business team for
assigned groups; identifies opportunities and suggests/implements
solutions for better practices regarding structure, systems and
delivery of services.
- Establishes strong relationships with internal and external
constituents; has principal responsibility for--relationships with
key outside legal firms.--
- Accountable for keeping the Deputy General Counsels, Human
Resources Leadership Team, and other members of the Legal
Department informed of key labor and employment law matters.--
- Sets priorities for and manages others effectively. Builds a
strong and cohesive team through coaching, development, empowerment
- Takes responsibility for team actions, efforts and
- Works with other pertinent members of the Legal Department to
put together cross department teams to address complex issues.
- Substantial experience leading, managing and developing a team
of legal professionals.
- Proven experience of successfully working with the senior
management team as a business partner contributing to the success
of the business.
- Significant prior experience counseling business clients with
respect to all major federal employment laws (e.g., Title VII, ADA,
ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, WARN) and state and local counterparts;
preferably some experience with IL, CA, NC, AL, AR, IN, FL, NY
and/or MS state and local employment laws.
- Significant experience defending and/or managing federal, state
and local employment litigation and government administrative
charges or claims throughout the US.
- Prior experience developing and leading employment law training
and drafting employment law policies, contracts and procedures to
ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local
- Prior experience counseling on US labor relations and union
avoidance, and defending against unfair labor practice
- Prior experience conducting and training other professionals on
- Prior experience with employee benefits (e.g., retirement,
pension, health and welfare) administration and litigation.
- Prior experience with executive compensation, including
drafting of executive agreements.
- Prior experience in international labor and employment law,
including issues related to works councils, global mobility,
immigration, and cross-border executive agreements.
- Prior experience in advising federal contractors on affirmative
action obligation and programs, as well as defending audits by the
- Prior experience with M&A due diligence pertaining to
employment matters both US and OUS.
- Prior experience managing law firm and vendor budgets,
including alternative fee arrangement structures, and financial
reserve and reporting requirements.
- Strong communication skills and proven ability to effectively
develop key partnership with clients and other individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to be a strategic partner to the Law
Department's and Human Resources' leadership teams.
- Consistently and broadly recognized achievement of the Law
Department's Professional Standards, including critical thinking,
sound judgment, the ability to view issues holistically, balancing
benefit and risk to make decisions that are in the best interests
of the business, and being a genuine team player that willingly
collaborates, mentors and can take on additional and varied
responsibilities as business needs dictate.
- Ability to function in a high paced legal environment and to
proactively develop strategies to ensure efficient and effective
- Preferably, prior experience counseling clients in healthcare
(medical products, biologics, and/or pharmaceutical) environment.
JD or international equivalent from a nationally or internationally
recognized institution. Minimum of seven years of demonstrated
professional experience, including at least three years in a
corporate environment with a high level of complexity. Experience
in the medical device and/or pharmaceutical industries preferred.
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified
applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender,
national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or
any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law--
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy Reasonable Accommodations
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable
accommodations to individuals with disabilities globally. If,
because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable
accommodation for any part of the application or interview process,
please click on the link here and let us know the nature of your
request along with your contact information. This website is owned
and operated by Baxter Healthcare Corporation [One Baxter Parkway,
Deerfield, IL 60015-4625] ("Baxter") acting as data controller for
itself and on behalf of all of its affiliates and subsidiaries. By
clicking on the "Subscribe" button I declare that I have read the
for the purposes of joining the Baxter Talent Community: to provide
me via email with job offers in the area of my interests and to
provide me information about Baxter. I am aware that I have the
right to withdraw my consent by clicking the "Unsubscribe" option
in the emails I receive from Baxter. First Name Last Name Phone
Number Email Address Select Interests Select a job category from
the list of options. Search for a location and select one from the
list of suggestions. Finally, click "Add" to create your job alert.
Job Category Location*
- Legal, Deerfield, Illinois, United States Remove
Keywords: Baxter Healthcare, Arlington Heights , Associate General Counsel, Labor and Employment Law, Legal , Deerfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!