Director Marketing Communications
Company: University of Saint Mary of the Lake
Posted on: June 21, 2022
SummaryThe University of Saint Mary of the Lake/Mundelein
Seminary (USML) is the major seminary and graduate school of
theology for the Archdiocese of Chicago. Mundelein Seminary is one
of the largest priesthood preparation programs in the United States
having graduated over 4,000 students since 1926 and serving thirty
(30) dioceses in the United States and abroad.The Director of
Marketing and Communications will be responsible for developing,
planning, budgeting, and implementation of marketing strategies for
USML. They will develop the processes by which they effectively
serve their customers and research growth opportunities. Many of
the responsibilities are associated with public relations,
including outreach, branding, social media, campaigns, focus on
target audience and promotion. S/he will direct and measure the
impact of the marketing and pr strategies implemented internally
and externally. They will be responsible for the directing,
mentoring, and monitoring the Marketing staff, and their efforts to
effectively address customers' needs with the appropriate marketing
message and go-to-market.The Director of Marketing and
Communications is required to collaborate and strategize with other
functional areas, such as Development, Institutes, and University
Events & Guest Services.Core Leadership Functions
- Responsible for both the strategy and tactical levels of
execution associated with the collaboration of various functional
areas (i.e., development, Institutes) to develop go to market
-marketing & communication strategies for events, campaigns,
fundraisers, etc., while producing new marketing ideas based on
- Lead, mentor, coach and monitor a marketing team, to ensure
customer demands are consistently achieved.
- The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and
serves as a member of the senior leadership team.
- This position works directly with the Rector/President in
charting the direction of the University's communications strategy,
assuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its
- Continuously evaluates the scope and quality of available
research services and industry best practices for improved
effectiveness enhancement of processes, procedures, social medial
platforms, associated with marketing strategy & execution.
- Track the performance of marketing strategies implemented and
enhance performance accordingly with timely modifications.
- Develop annual marketing budget.
- Supports the mission of the seminary. Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for creating, implementing, and measuring the
success of a comprehensive marketing and communications program
that will enhance the University's image and position within the
global Catholic community and to the public.
- Ensure articulation of University's desired image and position,
assure consistent communication of brand image and position
throughout the University, and assure communication of brand image
and position to all constituencies, both internal and
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production, and
distribution of all University publications.
- Coordinate the appearance of all University print and
electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures,
- Develop, coordinate, and oversee programs, technical
assistance, and resource materials to assist university institutes
and departments in the marketing, communications, and positioning
of their activities.
- Provide counsel to university institutes and departments on
marketing and communications.
- Ensure that the University regularly conducts relevant market
research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the
marketing and communications program and its activities, monitor
progress, assure adherence, and evaluate performance.
- Develop, implement, and monitor systems and procedures
necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing and
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing,
communications, not-for-profit management, and governance, and use
this information to help the University operate with initiative and
- Leads or supervises projects as assigned. Ancillary Job
- Function as an internal champion to bring attention and
solutions to institutional priorities.
- Takes initiative to improve both processes and outcomes,
incorporating best practices, and innovations in this professional
- Ensures compliance with all university policies and
- Compellingly communicates to the team the critical role they
play in achieving the university's mission and strategic
- Facilitates organizational change initiatives; leads and
supports the team in adapting to a rapidly changing technology
- Facilitates development and achievement of professional and
personal goals, for self and staff.
- Models our values of service, innovation, and teamwork. Holds
others accountable for living these values.
- Fosters a challenging and compassionate work environment,
recognizing strong performance, and listening and acting on
- Identify development opportunities for self and team, ensure
that the team and self are learning and developing
- Perform other vital duties as assigned.Education and Experience
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience
will be considered.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited university, in marketing,
communications, journalism, or related field, required, master's
- Seven to ten years' direct experience in marketing management,
communications, or journalism role, including the handling of
organization communications, overseeing and responsible for
original writing and editing, and communications across social
media platforms, with a theological base of understanding
- Advanced knowledge of marketing and social media metrics
reporting, and ability to share insights on a continual basis with
communications, development, and leadership teams. Understanding of
social media platforms, trends, and digital communications
- Advanced understanding of nonprofit, higher education
(university) and related marketing activities is highly
- Demonstrated proficiency in internet & digital marketing
techniques, technologies, and solutions.
- Project management experience, ability to manage
- Understanding and familiarity with brand building and brand
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially
Photoshop, InDesign, and Premiere), WordPress (or similar content
management system), MailChimp (or similar email distribution
system), and data software such as CRM and Microsoft Office Suite,
basic understanding of HTML, required.
- An eye for innovation and the willingness to take the
initiative to step out of the box.
- Bilingual fluent English/Spanish, preferred. Knowledge, Skills
and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of
those commonly associated with this position.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print
materials and publications.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to prioritize and execute multiple projects under
demanding deadlines required.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-oriented team
- Ability to communicate tactfully and patiently with both
internal and external constituents required.
- Dexterity to operate computer equipment required. Working
knowledge of office procedures, typing ability and computer
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and
Outlook; and comfortable using new technologies in marketing and
- Ability to perform duties with accuracy, and
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with colleagues and constituents and a healthy level
of diplomacy and discretion dealing with customers and
- Excellent customer service skills, ability to work well with
others in a teamWork Environment - Environmental or atmospheric
conditions commonly associated with the performance of the
functions of this job.
- General office conditions, university conditions.
- Exposed to incremental weather conditions, occasionally, during
- Availability to work nights and weekends for special
- Genuinely support and work with others in a Catholic
- The person must be sensitive to organizational needs, employee
goodwill, and the mission, of the Catholic Church,
- A commitment to the belief that all people have the right to
dignity, respect, opportunity, and full community inclusion.
Possess a philosophy that is consistent with the Mission, Vision &
Values of the USML.
Keywords: University of Saint Mary of the Lake, Arlington Heights , Director Marketing Communications, Executive , Mundelein, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!