Assistant Director, Managed Care Contracts
Posted on: June 18, 2022
Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to
develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven
to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to
patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting
work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc. is a pharmaceutical company conducting
business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are
committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that
bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our
focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business
with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of
people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas,
please visit our website at www.astellas.com.
This position is based in Northbrook, Illinois. Remote work from
certain states may be permitted in accordance with Astellas'
Responsible Flexibility Guidelines. Candidates interested in remote
work are encouraged to apply.
Purpose and Scope:
The Assistant Director, Managed Care Contracts will negotiate and
manage contracts with approved customers to support Market Access's
goal of ensuring profitable formulary access for Astellas products.
The incumbent will manage the entire lifecycle of the contract,
develop pricing offers/proposals for customers in collaboration
with Astellas' Field Sales and Market Access Account Management;
and review, edit and negotiate contract language and amendments
with customers to minimize risk to the company.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
* Develop pricing offers/proposals for MCOs in collaboration with
Market Access's Field Sales and Market Access Account Management.
Ensure appropriate approvals are received from and documented by
Strategic Pricing Committee (SPC) prior to generating any new
offers, or renewals or modifications of existing contracts. Lead
direct negotiations with customers to finalize contractual
* Ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures with
respect to development of pricing offers, especially as it relates
to established pricing guidelines and exceptions to pricing
* Lead development of broad channel contracting strategy and
related contract templates, and review, edit and negotiate contract
language and amendments (in collaboration with Field Sales and
Market Access Account Management) with customers to minimize
unfavorable business terms and risks to the company. Lead
collaborative efforts with Legal department to ensure timely review
of proposed changes in contract language and provide appropriate
context to Legal to ensure proper review of contract language.
* Maintain offers/contracts in Contracts & Pricing contract
database to ensure that agreements are being submitted, negotiated,
and renewed well in advance of contract expiration and/or customer
deadlines. Work with IT and database vendor to enhance and develop
reports based on data within database across multiple contracting
* Act as a lead liaison for Field Sales and Market Access Account
Management and a trusted advisor. Support them by maintaining
offers/contracts in Contracts & Pricing contract database and
reporting of major contracts & pricing terms and conditions. Assist
in the development of their periodic business reviews with internal
leadership and customers. Provide training to Field Sales and
Market Access Account Management on contracting process.
* Work with Finance to ensure appropriate price reporting,
appropriate validation and calculation of payments in Model N
revenue management system, and to ensure that timely payments to
customers are remitted in accordance with the contract terms.
Perform parallel compliance validations for high-dollar
* Proactively communicate any contracts and pricing modifications
to internal business partners within C&P, Finance, Sales,
Account Management, Legal, Supply Chain, and any other interested
stakeholders. Lead regular meetings to ensure proper alignment.
* Provide guidance to C&P Pricing and Analytics team to ensure
appropriate analysis of deals and accurate budgeting and
forecasting. Participate in strategy meetings with Field Sales and
Market Access Account Management to develop deal proposals. Prepare
pricing proposals in collaboration with C&P Pricing and
Analytics team. Understand C&P Pricing and Analytics team's
processes and assist in review of pricing related activities in
addition today-to-day contracting activities.
* Lead strategy sessions with Market Access and Brand Marketing
teams on new contracting initiatives. Participate as necessary in
annual Budget and Mid-Term Plan (MTP) planning process with Pricing
Analytics, Marketing, Market Access, Forecasting and Finance
* Review and understand price protection arrangements with
customers, where applicable, and explain them to other C&P
teams and internal customers as necessary to ensure proper analysis
* College degree in a business discipline is required.
* Ability to analyze/interpret contract language and identify risks
to the company
* Prior hands on knowledge and experience with either Model N or
I-Many revenue management systems or other comparable systems used
in pharma/healthcare industry.
* Prior experience with Salesforce or other Contracts Management
tool is highly desirable.
* Intermediate to Advanced MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills.
Knowledge of MS Access is preferable.
* Strong interpersonal, communicative, collaboration skills,
customer service commitment, and orientation to detail are critical
for this role.
* Ability to plan and complete work in a fast-paced business
environment independently with limited supervision across various
levels and responding to tight timelines.
* Minimum of 8 years prior experience in pharmaceutical contracts
development, negotiations, analysis, and rebate administration.
* MBA preferred but not required.
* Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
* Generous Paid Time Off options, including Vacation and Sick time,
plus national holidays including year-end shut down
* 401(k) match and annual company contribution
* Company paid life insurance
* Annual Corporate Bonus and Quarterly Sales Incentive for eligible
* Long Term Incentive Plan for eligible positions
* Referral bonus program
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected
Keywords: Astellas, Arlington Heights , Assistant Director, Managed Care Contracts, Executive , Deerfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!