Category Management Director
Company: Essendant Inc.
Posted on: April 8, 2021
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require a
reasonable accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, you will
find the contact information to request the appropriate
accommodation by visiting the following page: The Director,
Category Management has strategic responsibility for the supplier
relationships and cost of goods sold across ESND various customers
and platforms, responsible for developing annual and long-range
profit performance plans and budget expectations, developing
category strategy across various products, and for directing all
marketing efforts and product category functions for all product(s)
in the category to ensure achievement of marketing objectives and
product category strategies. The Director, Category Management is
responsible for developing and executing the strategic plan for
assigned product categories and directing a high-performance team
of managers and individual contributors. This includes, but is not
limited to, understanding market dynamics by customer channel,
building and maintaining key supplier relationships, working with
other internal stakeholders within marketing, pricing, sales, &
inventory, while being responsible for P&L of assigned category
and supporting the company's other budgetary goals Scope
- Revenue budget responsibility for approximately $1.5B in annual
Gross Merchandise Sales Major Responsibilities
- Managing up and providing insight, and guidance, to
Merchandising functional leader. Presenting to Executive Leadership
team on strategic initiatives and opportunities, as needed
- Provide clear direction on strategy to multiple direct report
managers and ensure that team goals are on track and completed on
- Provide opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Understand initiatives of company and, where applicable, align
company initiatives to key supplier strategic initiatives for long
term value and growth
- Work with market intelligence companies to understand market
trends and conditions and act accordingly
- Align with sales leaders, across all customer channels, to
understand customer requirements and provide updates on initiatives
and allow teams to provide feedback
- Present category trends and initiatives to customers, as
- Direct category P&L, promotional spending, product
positioning, and products offered and pricing strategy. Direct the
marketing activities and market intelligence of the assigned
- Direct and review individual channel/regional product category
sales and margin objectives and coordinates the development of
detailed plans, strategies and contingencies to ensure
establishment of realistic budgets within pricing guidelines and
commensurate with product category profit objectives.
- Collaborate with merchandising, marketing and advertising
staffs that provide and/or create the components of the marketing
programs. Such components include program literature, collateral
material, marketing pieces and market research.
- Oversee category market size, return on invested capital,
inventory turns, working capital, stocking strategy, full
P&L/revenue responsibility, evaluating share trade-offs, cost
to serve both direct and indirect, EBIT, margin/pricing, preferred
vendor sourcing, marketing/advertising, positioning products in
marketplace and vendor performance.
- Direct market testing, research, merger and acquisition
evaluation for new and emerging products.
- Provide strong, proactive daily leadership to maintain a
positive business climate that will motivate employees, and
function as an effective advocate for change and growth.
- Develop the company's overall strategy for the stated category
in line with the corporate goals, designed to grow revenues and
drive all elements of the business plan.
- Manages people, processes, budgets, performance management,
compliance activities, and associate development as required by the
- Understands and demonstrates United Stationers' Core
- Performs other duties as assigned. Skills/Knowledge Required
- Strong strategic thought process. Broad-based view of
marketing, merchandising and advertising - recognizes impact of
operations on other functional areas.
- Skilled in interpersonal communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across
multifunctional teams; strong Capable of juggling multiple projects
and a complex marketing/merchandising calendar will be critical to
success in this role.
- Excellent management skills - planning, delegating and
organizing. Fact based and results oriented thinking.
- Strong problem resolution skills - practical and logical.
- Experienced team builder/ leader.
- Advanced analytical and decision making skills.
- Advanced abilities in Microsoft Office Suite software.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 10 years progressive success in product category
- Strong marketing and consumer goods background with specific
product category industry experience.
- Well versed in product category management and product
- Experience with manufacturing company distributing its products
through multiple channels. Qualifications Education Required
Bachelors or better in Marketing or related field. Preferred
Masters or better. Experience Required Experience with
manufacturing company distributing its products through multiple
channels Well versed in product category management and product
branding 10 years: progressive success in product category
managementStrong marketing and consumer goods background with
specific product category industry experience Equal Opportunity
Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities The
contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate
against employees or applicants because they have inquired about,
discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another
employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the
compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part
of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other
employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have
access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in
response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: Essendant Inc., Arlington Heights , Category Management Director, Executive , Deerfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!